Clear, practical and well-informed Sustainability Plans are necessary to help guide your organization’s progress toward sustainability. Your sustainability indicators are an integral part of this planning process. Sustainability plans generally include:
- Long-term fiscal accountability practices including multiple year budgeting, public transparency in financial matters, operational efficiencies, facilities management improvements, and strategies for matching revenues to needs.
- Environmental management plans with objectives of protecting and enhancing the natural environment.
- Provisions for addressing social equity concerns within the mission of each organization.
The key benefits of a Sustainability Plan with indicators are as follows:
- Enables the community to identify what it values and what it wants to prioritize
- Holds diverse groups accountable
- Builds democracy through collaboration
- Allows people to measure what is important
- Promotes decision-making based on those results
Grand Rapids' Sustainability Plan